For over twenty years, Carole Bennett, MA, has been personally enmeshed in the world of addiction and recovery stemming from her own family’s alcohol and drug dependency issues. Professionally, her Master’s in Clinical Psychology has afforded her work as a treatment counselor for the Salvation Army and the Council of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse in Santa Barbara County. This combination has made Carole an expert in the field of family substance abuse counseling.
Almost a decade ago, Carole founded Family Recovery Solutions, a counseling center targeted for family and friends struggling with their loved ones' addiction issues. Carole’s practice is worldwide as she counsels clients by phone from Monte Carlo, France, to Sydney, Australia, discussing concepts for better communication skills, boundaries, and family recovery contracts.
Since 2009, here are some highlights that continue to strengthen Carole’s platform as an expert addiction and recovery family counselor, author, and speaker:
- Carole’s first book, Reclaim Your Life – You and the Alcoholic/Addict, was published in 2011 and is endorsed by Robert Lindsey, Chairman/CEO of the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependencies, Inc. It is the first book of its kind to be targeted for the family and friends dealing with substance abuse issues.
The book is available both on Kindle and as paperback on Amazon (garnering 28 5-star reviews) as well as on the iPad, Barnes and Nobles’ Nook, and through independent book stores in North America and Canada. In addition, it is sold at the Betty Ford Center and is listed as a reference for the Family Program.
- Since 2009, Carole has been a staff columnist for The Huffington Post writing on addiction and recovery as it pertains to the family and their interaction with their loved ones' substance abuse issues.
- May 2011, Carole became a staff columnist for Psychology Today’s on-line publication. Considered an expert her field, her articles, “My Own Daughter’s Relapse,” "Are you Living with a Dry Drunk?" and “When Is it Time to Throw in the Towel?” (to name just a few) have garnered thousands of views.
- To date, Carole has been interviewed on 300 radio stations across the country promoting her book as well as addiction/recovery awareness as it pertains to the family. She is a regular monthly guest on a dozen stations nationwide discussing the global malady of substance abuse issues.
- Carole presented on air commentary for CBS – Hallmark Hall of Fame’s movie on Lois Wilson, the founder of Al-Anon.
- Carole is the featured counselor in the 2012 magazine Al-Anon Faces Alcoholism.
The following are conferences where Carole has or will be lecturing:
- 10/11 Recovery Resources and SAY – Social Advocates for Youth - Cleveland, Ohio
- 12/11 The Evolution of Addiction - Los Angeles, California
- 4/12 Conference on Self and Family - Santa Fe, New Mexico
- 7/12 Virginia Institute for Addiction Studies - Williamsburg, Virginia
- 7/12 Riverside Behavioral Health Center – Hampton, Virginia
- 8/12, 44th Annual Southwestern School for Behavioral Health Studies in Tucson, Arizona
- 10/12 Southwestern Behavioral Health Centers (no connection to the Tucson conference) in Evansville, Indiana (Keynote speaker)
Emerson College – BFA Film/Television and Communication, 1976
University of West L.A., School of Law – 2 years, 1988
Antioch University (Santa Barbara, CA) – MA Clinical Psychology, 2003
University of Utah, School of Alcoholism and Drug Addiction, 2003
On a personal note:
Carole is a volunteer at the Santa Barbara Zoo, Hearts Therapeutic Riding Academy, and an apprentice Bee Keeper for the Casa De Maria orchard.
In addition, she serves holiday meals for the Santa Barbara Rescue Mission and shares a portion of her profits from her book sales to The Salvation Army.
For more information on Carole please visit the following sites: